[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Use-Cases with VPNs Distinction

Trevor Vardeman trevor.vardeman at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu May 1 20:52:36 UTC 2014

Hello,

After going back through the use-cases to double check some of my
understanding, I realized I didn't quite understand the ones I had
already answered.  I'll use a specific use-case as an example of my
misunderstanding here, and hopefully the clarification can be easily
adapted to the rest of the use-cases that are similar.

Use Case 13:  A project-user has an HTTPS application in which some of
the back-end servers serving this application are in the same subnet,
and others are across the internet, accessible via VPN. He wants this
HTTPS application to be available to web clients via a single IP
address.

In this use-case, is the Load Balancer going to act as a node in the
VPN?  What I mean here, is the Load Balancer supposed to establish a
connection to this VPN for the client, and simulate itself as a computer
on the VPN?  If this is not the case, wouldn't the VPN have a subnet ID,
and simply be added to a pool during its creation?  If the latter is
accurate, would this not just be a basic HTTPS Load Balancer creation?
After looking through the VPNaaS API, you would provide a subnet ID to
the create VPN service request, and it establishes a VPN on said subnet.
Couldn't this be provided to the Load Balancer pool as its subnet?

Forgive me for requiring so much distinction here, but what may be clear
to the creator of this use-case, it has left me confused.  This same
type of clarity would be very helpful across many of the other
VPN-related use-cases.  Thanks again!

-Trevor