[openstack-dev] [Nova] Updates to Juno blueprint review process

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Mar 25 21:50:40 UTC 2014

On 03/25/2014 01:30 AM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> I really don't see why this is so bad.  We're using a tool specifically
> designed for reviewing things that is already working *really* well,

right, for code reviews.

> not just for code, but also for TC governance documents.

I disagree: that's another hack, needed because there is nothing better
around. The only decent tool that I remember had a decent UX to discuss
text documents was the tool used to discuss online the GPLv3 drafts.
Google Docs has features similar to that... Unfortunately free software
tools somehow got stuck even when they pioneered many features.

> Unless Storyboard plans to re-implement what gerrit does (I sure hope it
> doesn't), I expect we would keep working like this.  Do you expect
> storyboard to have an interface for iterating on text documents, where
> you can provide inline comments, review differences between revisions,
> etc?  What am I missing?

Mainly I think you're missing things related to usability,
discoverability, search, reporting and all sorts of drawbacks related to
having two separate tools to do one thing, loosely coupled. Gerrit's
search is obscure for non-daily gerrit users, indexing by web search
engines is non existent... grep on local filesystem may work for some,
but that's not all the people interested in knowing why a feature was
implemented that way (for example), git is not unfriendly only picky
about who his friends are... and I can go on but I'll stop here: I
understand we have no better solution in the given timeframe, it's
pointless to debate it further.

/stef