[openstack-dev] [Nova] Updates to Juno blueprint review process

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Mar 24 09:46:19 UTC 2014

Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 03/21/2014 02:55 PM, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
>> While I'm here, and for the records, I think that creating a new
>> workflow 'temporarily' only until we have Storyboard usable, is a *huge*
>> mistake. It seems to me that you're ignoring or at least underestimating
>> the amount of *people* that will need to be retrained, the amount of
>> documentation that need to be fixed/adjusted. And the confusion that
>> this will create on the 'long tail' developers.
>>
>> A change like this, done with a couple of announcements on a mailing
>> list and a few mentions on IRC is not enough to steer the ~400
>> developers who may be affected by this change. And then we'll have to
>> manage the change again when we switch to Storyboard. If I were you, I'd
>> focus on getting storyboard ready to use asap, instead.
>>
>> There, I said it, and I'm now going back to my cave.
>
> I think the current process and system and *so* broken that we can't
> afford to wait.  Further, after talking to Thierry, it seems quite
> likely that we would continue using this exact process, even with
> Storyboard.  Storyboard isn't a review tool and won't solve all of the
> project's problems.

Indeed. Storyboard is primarily designed as a task tracker. It lets you
groups tasks affecting various repositories but ultimately related to
the same "story".

So feature stories in StoryBoard can definitely have, as their first
task, a "design" task that will be linked to a change to a -specs
repository. Then when the design is approved you can add more tasks to
that same story, corresponding to implementation steps.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)