[openstack-dev] [TripleO] test environment requirements

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Mar 24 03:18:19 UTC 2014

On 24 March 2014 14:06, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Robert Collins's message of 2014-03-13 02:51:30 -0700:
>> So we already have pretty high requirements - its basically a 16G
>> workstation as minimum.
>>
>> Specifically to test the full story:
>>  - a seed VM
>>  - an undercloud VM (bm deploy infra)
>>  - 1 overcloud control VM
>>  - 2 overcloud hypervisor VMs
>> ====
>>    5 VMs with 2+G RAM each.
>>
>> To test the overcloud alone against the seed we save 1 VM, to skip the
>> overcloud we save 3.
>>
>> However, as HA matures we're about to add 4 more VMs: we need a HA
>> control plane for both the under and overclouds:
>>  - a seed VM
>>  - 3 undercloud VMs (HA bm deploy infra)
>>  - 3 overcloud control VMs (HA)
>>  - 2 overcloud hypervisor VMs
>> ====
>>    9 VMs with 2+G RAM each == 18GB
>>

> If we switch end-user-vm tests to cirros, and use a flavor that is really
> really tiny, like 128M RAM, then I think we can downsize the development
> environment hypervisors from 2G to 1G. That at least drops us to 16G. If
> we can also turn off the seed as soon as the undercloud boots, that's
> another 2G saved. Finally if we can turn off 1 of the undercloud VMs
> and run degraded, that is another 2G saved.

We can't turn off the seed unless we change the network topology; we
need to make sure if we do that that we don't invalidate the test
structure.

> Small potatoes I know, but it wouldn't be complicated to do any of these
> and it would also help test real scenarios we want to test (seed going
> away, undercloud node going away).

I like this.

I also like much of the spread of ideas that came up - lets capture
them to an etherpad and link that from a blueprint for future selves
finding it.

In particular I'd like to make being able to use OpenStack a J series
goal, though it doesn't help with local dev overheads.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist