[openstack-dev] [TripleO] test environment requirements

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Mar 24 01:06:07 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Robert Collins's message of 2014-03-13 02:51:30 -0700:
> So we already have pretty high requirements - its basically a 16G
> workstation as minimum.
>
> Specifically to test the full story:
>  - a seed VM
>  - an undercloud VM (bm deploy infra)
>  - 1 overcloud control VM
>  - 2 overcloud hypervisor VMs
> ====
>    5 VMs with 2+G RAM each.
>
> To test the overcloud alone against the seed we save 1 VM, to skip the
> overcloud we save 3.
>
> However, as HA matures we're about to add 4 more VMs: we need a HA
> control plane for both the under and overclouds:
>  - a seed VM
>  - 3 undercloud VMs (HA bm deploy infra)
>  - 3 overcloud control VMs (HA)
>  - 2 overcloud hypervisor VMs
> ====
>    9 VMs with 2+G RAM each == 18GB

If we switch end-user-vm tests to cirros, and use a flavor that is really
really tiny, like 128M RAM, then I think we can downsize the development
environment hypervisors from 2G to 1G. That at least drops us to 16G. If
we can also turn off the seed as soon as the undercloud boots, that's
another 2G saved. Finally if we can turn off 1 of the undercloud VMs
and run degraded, that is another 2G saved.

Small potatoes I know, but it wouldn't be complicated to do any of these
and it would also help test real scenarios we want to test (seed going
away, undercloud node going away).