[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Functional testing, Tempest

Daryl Walleck daryl.walleck at RACKSPACE.COM
Sun Mar 23 15:30:20 UTC 2014

Hi Adam,

I think the steps you've completed so far are the foundation for testers like myself to be able to really dive in and start kicking the tires of Ironic. Having an easily repeatable way to generate test environments makes a huge impact in where I spend my time (environments vs actual testing). As for functional coverage, to be completely honest I'm still working on fully context switching from Nova, but I've looked at your etherpad and I definitely have some thoughts and additions to share.

I also wouldn't rule the idea completely of communicating with other management resources. While this used to be an idea I strongly and loudly opposed, one of the realizations I had during my time testing Nova was that ignoring the backend was somewhat of a mistake, at least from a root cause analysis of failures perspective. While working with Nova and XenServer, I ran into enough situations where XenServer had a much clearer perspective of faults and failures that I began to add optional duplicate validations to the XenServer API to help better track where the real source of a failure was. While I'm still not sure if this would make sense to implement in any Ironic tests, I don't think completely closing the door on the idea would be wise yet.

As for dealing with narrowing the scope of Tempest tests by Nova driver, I think there's a few easy options here. What I've done in my own testing outside of Tempest is to use and expand on the Hypervisor/Driver Feature Matrix [1] in combination with a driver configuration value to determine at run time which tests should be executed. When I first started developing Tempest, I implemented a much weaker solution, which was to provide a per feature flag to enable certain tests that use individual features, which still exists today. The concept of feature sets isn't a problem limited to Ironic (other hypervisors and drivers and similar problems), so I'd like to reengage the Tempest community with this concept and see how it's received.

Daryl

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/HypervisorSupportMatrix#Hypervisor_feature_support_matrix