[openstack-dev] Automatic version creation in PBR

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Mar 17 20:59:11 UTC 2014

On 18 March 2014 09:32, Doug Hellmann <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com> wrote:

> As mordred, lifeless, and I discussed in #openstack-infra today, this
> represents a backwards-incompatible change to the version format strings,
> which we believe are being consumed by packagers. We should wait until after
> the feature freeze, make sure we have pbr pinned in the requirements for
> stable/icehouse, and then we can make this change and update the major
> version number of pbr.

Note that there is *no* change to *release* format strings. *only* to
intermediate format strings.

So - we should:
 - pin existing stable branches (so their intermediate version
behaviour stays the same)
 - get this improvement into a pbr release now, so that I series
intermediate version numbers will be better

IMO anyhow.

> Rob, is there a library for python to compute semver numbers? If not, should
> that be stand-alone or part of pbr?

pbr has significant issues with dependencies due to its installation
in the early bootstrap stage of setup.py. So, it will be in pbr.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist