[openstack-dev] Automatic version creation in PBR

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Mon Mar 17 20:32:53 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 11:10 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc at robertcollins.net>wrote:

> Right now PBR's creation of versions for postversioning is problematic
> - it generates versions that (if recognized by pip) would be treated
> as releases, even when its a non-tagged commit.
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/pbr-postversion-semver
>
> The tl;dr is a proposal to generate dev marked versions of the lowest
> possible higher tag that we would accept - which would be any of full
> release or alpha/beta/rc
>
> A related but can be done separately change is to pick version strings
> for alpha releases that are compatible with both PEP 440 and semver.
>
> Feedback solicited - if this is something contentious, we can make it
> an opt-in feature, but it seems unambiguously better to the folk that
> chatted through it on #openstack-infra, so ideally I'd like to
> transition any existing incompatible tags we have, and then land code
> to make this the behaviour for post-versioned (the default - no
> 'version' key in setup.cfg) untagged commits.
>
> -Rob

As mordred, lifeless, and I discussed in #openstack-infra today, this
represents a backwards-incompatible change to the version format strings,
which we believe are being consumed by packagers. We should wait until
after the feature freeze, make sure we have pbr pinned in the requirements
for stable/icehouse, and then we can make this change and update the major
version number of pbr.

Rob, is there a library for python to compute semver numbers? If not,
should that be stand-alone or part of pbr?

Doug