[openstack-dev] [nova] RFC - using Gerrit for Nova Blueprint review & approval

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Mar 17 13:50:06 UTC 2014

Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>> Other projects up to try it? The only possible addition is that we might
>>> need to work out is cross-project blueprints and which repo should those
>>> live in? We're doing well on integration, be careful about siloing.
>>
>> TBH tracking cross-project blueprint impact is a problem *today*,
>> typically we end up with either only one of the involved projects
>> having a blueprint for the feature or all of them having one (if you
>> are lucky they might at least link to the same design on the wiki
>> but often not ;)). I am hoping that is something that can ultimately
>> be addressed in storyboard but am unsure of how we would resolve
>> that as part of this proposal, unless instead you had a central
>> blueprint repository and used a tag in the review to indicate which
>> projects are impacted/involved?
>
> A central repository does have a certain appeal, especially from my
> perspective in Oslo where the work that we do will have an increasing
> impact on the projects that consume the libraries. It makes review
> permissions on the designs a little tricky, but I think we can work that
> out with agreements rather than having to enforce it in gerrit.

Yes, the main drawback of the nova-specs repository is that it
perpetuates a project-centric view of features. StoryBoard will enable
tracking of cross-project features (the same way Launchpad bugs can have
tasks affecting multiple projects). So if this idea sticks, it would be
nice to have a solution for approval of cross-project specs in the future.

In the mean time this is not a blocker to experimentation.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)