[openstack-dev] [Mistral][Taskflow][all] Mistral + taskflow

Stan Lagun slagun at mirantis.com
Fri Mar 14 00:19:53 UTC 2014

Joshua, Boris, Renat,

I call for this discussion to be technical rather than emotional. "Seems"
is not appropriate word here. It seems like both Mistral and TaskFlow
duplicate many similar services and libraries outside of OpenStack (BTW,
what exactly in TaskFlow is OpenStack-specific?). So it is not a good idea
to judge who duplicates who and focus on how TaskFlow can help Mistral (or
vice versa)

Let us first list what can be considered to be inalienable parts of Mistral
(features and use cases that are vital to Mistral paradigm) and then
suggest how those use cases can be addressed by TaskFlow. I think it would
be best if Joshua propose detailed Mistral design based on TaskFlow that
would have all the listed futures and addresses all principal use cases.
After all it really doesn't matter if Mistral and TaskFlow has similar
pieces of code in their implementation or similar concepts unless those
pieces of code and concepts can be extracted from TaskFlow and reused in
Mistral

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 3:17 AM, Boris Pavlovic <boris at pavlovic.me> wrote:

> Joshua,
>

> Fully agree, seems like Mistral duplicates a lot of efforts of TaskFlow.
> I just don't see any reason why Mistral is reimplementing TaskFlow and not
> just adding new features to...
>

> Best regards,
> Boris Pavlovic
>

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 3:02 AM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at yahoo-inc.com>wrote:
>
>> Separating from the following:
>>
>> *
>> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-March/029870.html
>>
>> What can we do to resolve this, and reduce duplication in effort, code and
>> so on.
>>
>> I believe that we are really doing the same thing, but it appears that
>> something (imho) is wrong with the process here.
>>
>> I'm unsure how to resolve the situationŠ
>>
>> I believe since as a community we should be working together instead of
>> working apart in silos creating the same thing.
>>
>> I'm reminded of
>>
>> http://www.slideshare.net/RenatAkhmerov/mistral-hong-kong-unconference-trac
>> k/2<http://www.slideshare.net/RenatAkhmerov/mistral-hong-kong-unconference-track/2>where it seemed like we were doing much better collaboration, what has
>> happened to break this continuity?