[openstack-dev] [SWIFT] SWIFT object caching (HOT content)

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 18:05:46 UTC 2014

At the HK summit, the topic of hot content came up and seemed to broken
into two parts.

1) developing a "caching" storage tier for hot content that would allow
proxies to more quickly serve small data requests with even higher rates of
concurrent access.
2) developing a mechanism to programmatically/automatically (or even
explicitly) identify "hot" content that should be cached or expired from
the caching storage tier.

Much progress has been made during this development/release cycle on
"storage policies" [1] which would seem to offer a semantic building block
for the caching storage tierr - but to my knowledge no one is actively
working on the details of a caching storage police (besides maybe a
high-replica ring backed with ssds), or the second (harder?) part of
identifying which data should be cached or for how long.

I glanced at those blueprints and I'm not sure they line up entirely with
the current thinking on hot content - probably be a good idea to revisit
the topic at upcoming summit in ALT.  I believe proposals are open. [2]

-Clay

1. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/swift/+spec/storage-policies
2. http://summit.openstack.org/