[openstack-dev] Climate Incubation Application

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Mar 6 10:46:12 UTC 2014

Dina Belova wrote:
>> Would Climate also be usable to support functionality like Spot
>> Instances ? "Schedule when spot price falls under X" ?
>
> Really good question. Personally I think that Climate might help
> implementing this feature, but probably it’s not the main thing that
> will work there.
>
> Here are my concerns about it. Spot instances require way of counting
> instance price:
> [...]

Not necessarily. It's a question of whether Climate would handle only
"schedule at" (a given date), or more generally "schedule when" (a
certain event happens, with date just being one event type). You can
depend on some external system setting spot prices, or any other
information, and climate rules that would watch regularly that external
information to decide if it's time to run resources or not. I don't
think it should be Climate's responsibility to specifically maintain
spot price, everyone can come up with their own rules.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)