[openstack-dev] [nova] Simulating many fake nova compute nodes for scheduler testing

Sergey Skripnick sskripnick at mirantis.com
Mon Mar 3 20:18:17 UTC 2014

David Peraza <david_peraza at persistentsys.com> писал(а) в своём письме Mon,
03 Mar 2014 21:27:01 +0200:

> Using compute inside LXC, I created 100 computes per physical host. Here
> is what I did, it's very simple:
>  -  Creating a LXC with logical volume
>   - Installing a fake nova-compute inside the LXC
>   - Make a booting script that modifies its nova.conf to use its IP
> address & starts nova-compute
>   - Using the LXC above as the master, clone as many compute as you like!
>
> (Note that while cloning the LXC, the nova.conf is copied with the
> former's IP address, that's why we need the booting script.)

Also btrfs can be used to reduce disk space usage. Scenario is looks like
this:

* create btrfs filesystem on /var/lib/lxc
* create first container with btrfs backingstore (lxc-create -B btrfs ...)
* setup devstack with fakevirt
* stop container, and make N snapshotted clones (lxc-clone --snapshot ...)
* start containers and run booting script (here script used by Rally [0])

If you do not want to do all this manually, there is
MultihostEngine/LxcEngine
coming soon in Rally [1]

[0]
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/56222/25/rally/deploy/engines/lxc/start.sh