[openstack-dev] [nova] Do any hyperviors allow disk reduction as part of resize ?

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Wed Jun 25 09:51:17 UTC 2014

On 24 June 2014 16:40, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

OK, I got the wrong end of the stick, sorry.

>> Yes, I'm personally for removing resize completely since, IMHO, no matter
>> how many bugs we fix it is always going to be a mess. That said I realize
>> that people probably find resize-up useful, so I won't push hard to kill
>> it - we should just recognize that it is always going to be a mess which
>> does not result in the same setup you'd get if you booted fresh with the
>> new settings.

Resize down should probably get deprecated and die.

But I think resize up is quite useful.

If we make snapshot, then build work well for all use cases, then
resize up could die too.

But I am still on the fence here, mostly due to how slow snapshots can
be, and loosing your IP addresses across the whole process. But thats
more a problem for me than it is for nova users as a whole.

> I am of the opinion that the different API extensions and the fact that they
> have evolved separately have created a giant mess for users, and that we
> should consolidate the API into a single "move" API that can take an
> optional new set of resources (via a new specified flavor) and should
> automatically "live move" the instance if it is possible, and fall back to a
> cold move if it isn't possible, with no confusing options or
> additional/variant API calls needed by the user.

I agree, we need to bring together all move APIs into a single API.
Mostly thinking about migrate and live-migrate.

We could probably leave resize behind for now, but I really want to do
resize up like this:
* live migrate to host where it fits
* now shutdown guest and do the resize up of the disk
And there are specs about hot plugging CPUs as soon as you get to the
destination, if thats all you need to do.

Thanks,
John