[openstack-dev] use of the word certified

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Jun 10 08:33:54 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 20:14 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 6:11 PM, Eoghan Glynn <eglynn at redhat.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Based on the discussion I'd like to propose these options:
> >> 1. Cinder-certified driver - This is an attempt to move the "certification"
> >> to the project level.
> >> 2. CI-tested driver - This is probably the most accurate, at least for what
> >> we're trying to achieve for Juno: Continuous Integration of Vendor-specific
> >> Drivers.
> >
> > Hi Ramy,
> >
> > Thanks for these constructive suggestions.
> >
> > The second option is certainly a very direct and specific reflection of
> > what is actually involved in getting the Cinder project's imprimatur.
>
> I do like "tested."
>
> I'd like to understand what the foundation is planning for
> "certification" as well, to know how big of an issue this really is.
> Even if they aren't going to certify drivers, I have heard discussions
> around training and possibly other areas so I would hate for us to
> introduce confusion by having different uses of that term in similar
> contexts. Mark, do you know who is working on that within the board or
> foundation?

http://blogs.gnome.org/markmc/2014/05/17/may-11-openstack-foundation-board-meeting/

Boris Renski raised the possibility of the Foundation attaching the
trademark to a verified, certified or tested status for drivers. It
wasn't discussed at length because board members hadn't been briefed in
advance, but I think it's safe to say there was a knee-jerk negative
reaction from a number of members. This is in the context of the
DriverLog report:

  http://stackalytics.com/report/driverlog
  http://www.mirantis.com/blog/cloud-drivers-openstack-driverlog-part-1-solving-driver-problem/
  http://www.mirantis.com/blog/openstack-will-open-source-vendor-certifications/

AIUI the "CI tested" phrase was chosen in DriverLog to avoid the
controversial area Boris describes in the last link above. I think that
makes sense. Claiming this CI testing replaces more traditional
certification programs is a sure way to bog potentially useful
collaboration down in vendor politics.

Avoiding dragging the project into those sort of politics is something
I'm really keen on, and why I think the word "certification" is best
avoided so we can focus on what we're actually trying to achieve.

Mark.