[openstack-dev] [tc][rally][qa] Application for a new OpenStack Program: Performance and Scalability

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Wed Jul 30 22:30:09 UTC 2014

Le 30/07/2014 22:13, Boris Pavlovic a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> This thread is very useful. We've detect issue related to the mission
> statement and name of proposed program on early steps. Seems like
> mission statement and name are totally unclear and don't present in
> the right perspective goals of this program.
>
> I updated name and mission statement:
>
> name:
>     SLA Management
>
> mission:
>     Provide SLA Management for production OpenStack clouds. This includes
>     measuring and tracking performance of OpenStack Services, key API
> methods
>     and cloud applications, performance and functional tests on
> demand, and
>     everything that is required to detect and debug issues in live
> production clouds.
>
> As well, I updated patch to governance:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/108502/3
>

> I hope now it's more clear, what is the goal of this program and why
> we should add new program.
>
> Thoughts?

-1 to it. SLA means that you create a contract in between a provider and
an user. Here, you don't create a contract (ie. you don't create ratios
and engagement) but you monitor these contracts.

As there are no SLAs now in OpenStack upstream (that's something for
operators), we can't say if the KPIs are OK or not.
How can you ensure that the code will be 9 nines if you don't look at
how OpenStack will be deployed ?

If you say the mission statement is to provide measurement tools for
OpenStack, then it possibly goes either in QA or in Telemetry programs.
If you say that the goal is to detect and debug issues in clouds, then
it clearly goes into QA program.

IMHO, both your name and your mission statement are confusing. Long
story short, I'm pro Rally as a separate project but in the QA program.

-Sylvain