[openstack-dev] [NFV][CI] The plan to bring up Snabb NFV CI for Juno-3

Luke Gorrie luke at snabb.co
Tue Jul 29 18:22:00 UTC 2014

On 29 July 2014 10:48, Luke Gorrie <luke at snabb.co> wrote:

> We are developing a practical open source NFV implementation for
> OpenStack. This is for people who want to run tens of millions of packets
> per second through Virtio-net on each compute node.

Incidentally, we do currently achieve ~ line rate with our target workload
of 6x10G with 256-byte packets and all traffic being looped through VMs
over Virtio-net. Here is a benchmark output from our testbed right now:

On 0000:07:00.0 got 4.462
On 0000:07:00.1 got 4.462
On 0000:24:00.0 got 4.454
On 0000:24:00.1 got 4.452
On 0000:27:00.0 got 4.455
On 0000:27:00.1 got 4.455

Rate(Mpps):     26.74

That is with each packet received off the wire by Snabb Switch, looped
through a QEMU guest (running Ubuntu w/ DPDK) over vhost-user, then
transmitted by Snabb Switch back onto the wire. That is one packet received
and transmitted on each port every 225 nanoseconds.

Surprisingly, the whole traffic plane is written in Lua and is only a small
amount of code. We are really proud of the work we are doing and hope it
will become a part of the open source networking landscape for many years
to come. People who like this sort of thing are advised to get in touch
with us and join in the fun :).

Cheers,

-Luke