[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Generate Event or Notification in Ceilometer

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 15:11:54 UTC 2014

On 07/29/2014 02:05 AM, Duan, Li-Gong (Gary at HPServers-Core-OE-PSC) wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Are there any guide or examples to show how to produce a new event or
> notification add add a handler for this event in ceilometer?
>
> I am asked to implement OpenStack service monitoring which will send an
> event and trigger the handler once a service, say nova-compute, crashes,
> in a short time. L
>
> The link (http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ceilometer/events.html)
> does a good job on the explanation of concept and hence I know that I
> need to emit notification to message queue and ceilometer-collector will
> process them and generate events but it is far from real implementations.

I would not use Ceilometer for this, as it is more tenant-facing than
infrastructure service facing. Instead, I would use a tried-and-true
solution like Nagios and NRPE checks. Here's an example of such a check
for a keystone endpoint:

https://github.com/ghantoos/debian-nagios-plugins-openstack/blob/master/plugins/check_keystone

Best,
-jay