[openstack-dev] Mentor program?

Abhishek L abhishek.lekshmanan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 13:06:39 UTC 2014

Anne Gentle writes:

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 11:36 PM, Jay S. Bryant <
> jsbryant at electronicjungle.net> wrote:
>
>> Josh,
>>
>> I agree that the mailing list is a hard place to provide such guidance
>> and direction.  I find mailing lists intimidating.  Had taken me some
>> time to be comfortable submitting here.
>>
>> After my response to this note the other day I was pinged internally via
>> our messaging client asking for some mentoring.  They seemed more
>> comfortable introducing themselves that way and talking.  I hate to
>> suggest an IRC channel for this, as IRC drives me nuts, also doesn't
>> seem the best fit.  Maybe instead a wiki page with IRC names of people
>> that are willing to be individually contacted with requests for
>> guidance.  I could be listed as a contact for Cinder or i18n as well as
>> a general process contact.  You for taskflow, etc.
>>

> We started #openstack-101 for the purpose of onboarding new contributors
> (not for learning OpenStack necessary). So we could use that as well as the
> wiki page, which is a great idea.

Dev mailing lists could be a difficult place for a newbie to find some
footing. Python's core-mentorship list is a great place for people who
want to start contributing to Python, low hanging bugs are also
regularly announced to help start the contributing process. Maybe having
a list like that could be helpful?

#openstack-101 is a great starting place, to help solving the initial
blocks etc. where to contribute to, IMO, could be better
suited for announcements in mailing lists.

--
Abhishek