[openstack-dev] Virtio-scsi settings nova-specs exception

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 00:55:47 UTC 2014

On 10:21 Mon 21 Jul     , Michael Still wrote:
> I just want to check my understanding -- it seems to me that this
> depends on a feature that's very new to libvirt (merged there 22 May
> 2014). Is that right?
>
> http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=commit;h=d950494129513558a303387e26a2bab057012c5e

Yes, this was mentioned in the Nova spec itself.

> We've had some concerns about adding features to the libvirt driver
> for features represented only in very new versions of libvirt.
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/72038/ is an example. Now, its clear
> to me that we don't yet have a consensus on nova-core on how to handle
> features depending on very new libvirts. There are certainly CI
> concerns at the least.
>
> So, I think approving this exception is tied up in that whole debate.
> Hopefully we can get that sorted out soon (and possibly unblock
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/72038/ depending on the outcome).
>
> Michael

For what it's worth, it's optional and the administrator would have to really
go out of their way to enable this in two ways:

* You have to be using a Cinder driver that uses the vhost connector to pass
  the connection data to Nova.
* Glance metadata of an image has to have these options set.

The review you provided with the debate raised by Dan Smith has been stale for
19 days with Daniel waiting for a reply. Should we have this listed for the
next Nova meeting?

--
Mike Perez