[openstack-dev] [Murano] Image tagging

McLellan, Steven steve.mclellan at hp.com
Fri Jul 18 14:46:24 UTC 2014

Hi,

Images that can be used for package deployment have to be tagged in glance in order to enable the UI to filter the list of images to present to a user (and potentially preselect). Currently the tags are defined in the dashboard code (images/forms.py) which makes things very inflexible; if I can upload an image and a package that consumes that image, I don't want to have to make a code change to use it.

Anyone who can upload images should also be able to specify tags for them. There is also the question of whether a user should be allowed to tag images that don't belong to them (e.g. a shared image used by a private package), but I think that can be punted down the road somewhat.

I think this needs to be more dynamic, and if that's agreed upon, there are a couple of approaches:

1)      Store allowed tags in the database, and allow administrators to add to that list. Ordinary users would likely not be able to create tags, though they could use pre-defined ones for images they owned.

2)      Have some public tags, but also allow user-specified tags for private packages. I think this leads to all sorts of tricky edge cases

3)      Allow freeform tags (i.e. don't provide any hints). Since there's no formal link between the tag that a package looks for and the tags currently defined in code, this wouldn't make anything more susceptible to inaccuracies

It would also be worth considering if there's value allowing multiple tags per image (I'm on the fence).

Personally, I think that 1) would be an improvement over the current situation that's reasonably easy to implement; that would allow the bare minimum of flexibility without requiring much extra design. The other options would perhaps be a longer term goal.

Thoughts? If there's general agreement I will turn this into a blueprint.

Steve