[openstack-dev] [gate] Automatic elastic rechecks

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jul 18 14:06:45 UTC 2014

On 7/17/2014 9:01 AM, Matthew Booth wrote:
> Elastic recheck is a great tool. It leaves me messages like this:
>
> ===
> I noticed jenkins failed, I think you hit bug(s):
>
> check-devstack-dsvm-cells: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1334550
> gate-tempest-dsvm-large-ops: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1334550
>
> We don't automatically recheck or reverify, so please consider doing
> that manually if someone hasn't already. For a code review which is not
> yet approved, you can recheck by leaving a code review comment with just
> the text:
>
>      recheck bug 1334550
>
> For bug details see: http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/
> ===
>
> In an ideal world, every person seeing this would diligently check that
> the fingerprint match was accurate before submitting a recheck request.
>
> In the real world, how about we just do it automatically?
>
> Matt

We don't want automatic rechecks because then we're just piling on to
races, because you can have jenkins failures where we have a fingerprint
for one job failure but there is some other job failing on your patch
which is an unrecognized failure (no e-r fingerprint query yet).  If we
never force people to investigate the failures and write fingerprints
because we're just always automatically rechecking things for them,
we'll drop our categorization rates and most likely eventually fall into
a locked gate once we hit 2-3 really nasty races hitting at the same time.

So the best way to avoid a locked gate is to stay on top of managing the
worst offenders and making sure everyone is actually looking at what
failed so we can quickly identify new races.

Matt Riedemann