[openstack-dev] [heat] health maintenance in autoscaling groups

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 16 17:50:42 UTC 2014

Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote on 07/02/2014 01:54:49 PM:

> Excerpts from Qiming Teng's message of 2014-07-02 00:02:14 -0700:
> > Just some random thoughts below ...
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 03:47:03PM -0400, Mike Spreitzer wrote:
> > > In AWS, an autoscaling group includes health maintenance
> functionality ---
> > > both an ability to detect basic forms of failures and an abilityto
react
> > > properly to failures detected by itself or by a load balancer.  What
is
> > > the thinking about how to get this functionality in OpenStack? Since

> > We are prototyping a solution to this problem at IBM Research - China
> > lab.  The idea is to leverage oslo.messaging and ceilometer events for
> > instance (possibly other resource such as port, securitygroup ...)
> > failure detection and handling.
> >

> Hm.. perhaps you should be contributing some reviews here as you may
> have some real insight:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/100012/
>
> This sounds a lot like what we're working on for continuous convergence.

I noticed that health checking in AWS goes beyond convergence.  In AWS an
ELB can be configured with a URL to ping, for application-level health
checking.  And an ASG can simply be *told* the health of a member by a
user's own external health system.  I think we should have analogous
functionality in OpenStack.  Does that make sense to you?  If so, do you
have any opinion on the right way to integrate, so that we do not have
three completely independent health maintenance systems?

Thanks,
Mike