[openstack-dev] [tripleo] [ironic] Multiple VM sizes for devtest

Matthew Gilliard matthew.gilliard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 19:39:03 UTC 2014

  As the stacks we are trying to stand up get more and more complicated,
the demands on developers' hardware is increasing.  Currently if you need N
VMs for your devtest run, you will create N which are identically sized (
https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-incubator/blob/master/scripts/devtest_testenv.sh#L245)
So, you are forced to make every node the size of the largest one you
need.  Of course this size isn't actually necessary for most nodes, and a
way of having differently-sized nodes would save hardware resources (so we
can create even more VMs!)

  Devananda and I worked up a patch for Ironic (
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/105802/) which will allow arbitrary
"capabilities" (ie k/v pairs) to be added to ironic nodes.  These nodes can
then be targeted by Nova using flavor-keys.  Within devtest, we could think
of these as "roles" for nodes.  I think that is what lifeless is hinting at
here:
https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-incubator/blob/master/scripts/setup-baremetal#L101

  In my head, a rough plan is: allow a user to provide a file detailing the
specs of the VMs they want.  (If it's not supplied we can fallback to the
current behaviour).  Nodes are created and given "roles" according to the
contents of that file, and flavors are created to match.  When the UC and
OC VMs are booted, the flavor appropriate to the "role" is used.  As you
can imagine, most parts of devtest would need some changes - I guess around
a half-dozen individual patchsets might do it, maybe more.

  So, I put this email out to see what people's reactions are.  If they are
generally positive I think it would be worth a tripleo-spec to put a bit
more detail together.  What do you think?

  Matthew