[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] Networks without subnets

loy wolfe loywolfe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 08:36:25 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 4:14 PM, Isaku Yamahata <isaku.yamahata at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> > 4) with no-port-security option, we should implement ovs-plug instead
> > ovs-hybird-plug, to totally bypass qbr but not just changing iptable
> rules.
> > the performance of later is 50% lower for small size packet even if the
> > iptable is empty, and 20% lower even if we disable iptable hook on linux
> > bridge.
>
> Is this only for performance reason?
> What do you think about disabling and then enabling port-security?
> portsecurity API allows to dynamically change the setting after port
> plugging.
>
> thanks,

the idea way is that OVS can hook to iptable chain at a per-flow basis, but
now we have to do some trade off. Requirement of no filter comes from NFV,
VNF VMs should not need dynamically enable/disable filter, and they are IO
performance critical apps.

However, at API level we may need to distinguish these two cases: for VNF
VM we need to totally bypass qbr with ''no-port-filter" setting and
ovs-plug, while for some other certain VM we just need something like
"default-empty-filter", still with ovs-hybrid-plug.