[openstack-dev] [neutron][all] switch from mysqldb to another eventlet aware mysql client

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Mon Jul 14 08:15:40 UTC 2014

On 14/07/14 07:45, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 07/14/2014 12:20 AM, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
>> On 11/07/14 19:20, Clark Boylan wrote:
>>> That said there is at least one other pure python alternative,
>>>  PyMySQL. PyMySQL supports py3k and pypy. We should look at
>>> using PyMySQL instead if we want to start with a reasonable
>>> path to getting this in the gate.
>>
>> MySQL Connector supports py3k too (not sure about pypy though).
>
> Yes, and it's also what Django people recommend:
>
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.7/ref/databases/#mysql-db-api-drivers
>
>  As for mysqldb and Python3, the only way is to use a Python 3 fork
> such as this one: https://github.com/clelland/MySQL-for-Python-3
>
> I wouldn't like using different versions of Python modules
> depending on the Python version, and therefore,
> python-mysql.connector / python3-mysql.connector would be
> preferred.
>
> However, it'd be nice if *all* projects could switch to that, and
> not just Neutron, otherwise, we'd be just adding a new dependency,
> which isn't great.

Yes, we envision global switch, though some projects may choose to
wait for another cycle to see how it works for pioneers.

> Also, about eventlet, there's been long threads about switching to
> something else like asyncio. Wouldn't it be time to also do that
> (at the same time)?

Eventlet has lots of flaws, though I don't see it replaced by asyncio
or any other mechanism this or even the next cycle.

There is lots of work to do to replace it. Switching mysql library is
a 100 line patch + performance benchmarking to avoid regression.
Switching async library is thousands of LOC + refactoring + very
significant work on oslo side.