[openstack-dev] [neutron][all] switch from mysqldb to another eventlet aware mysql client

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Jul 14 05:45:57 UTC 2014

On 07/14/2014 12:20 AM, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> On 11/07/14 19:20, Clark Boylan wrote:
>> That said there is at least one other pure python alternative,
>> PyMySQL. PyMySQL supports py3k and pypy. We should look at using
>> PyMySQL instead if we want to start with a reasonable path to
>> getting this in the gate.
>
> MySQL Connector supports py3k too (not sure about pypy though).

Yes, and it's also what Django people recommend:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.7/ref/databases/#mysql-db-api-drivers

As for mysqldb and Python3, the only way is to use a Python 3 fork such
as this one:
https://github.com/clelland/MySQL-for-Python-3

I wouldn't like using different versions of Python modules depending on
the Python version, and therefore, python-mysql.connector /
python3-mysql.connector would be preferred.

However, it'd be nice if *all* projects could switch to that, and not
just Neutron, otherwise, we'd be just adding a new dependency, which
isn't great.

Also, about eventlet, there's been long threads about switching to
something else like asyncio. Wouldn't it be time to also do that (at the
same time)?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)