[openstack-dev] Where should a test for eventlet and oslo.db interaction go?

Angus Lees guslees at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 07:55:10 UTC 2014

We have an issue with neutron (and presumably elsewhere), where mysqldb and
eventlet may deadlock, until the mysqldb deadlock timer fires.
I believe it's responsible for ~all of these failures:
http://logstash.openstack.org/#eyJzZWFyY2giOiJcIkxvY2sgd2FpdCB0aW1lb3V0IGV4Y2VlZGVkOyB0cnkgcmVzdGFydGluZyB0cmFuc2FjdGlvblwiIiwiZmllbGRzIjpbXSwib2Zmc2V0IjowLCJ0aW1lZnJhbWUiOiI2MDQ4MDAiLCJncmFwaG1vZGUiOiJjb3VudCIsInRpbWUiOnsidXNlcl9pbnRlcnZhbCI6MH0sInN0YW1wIjoxNDA0OTcwMzgwMjc0fQ==

Now, the fix is one thing and is underway (the current favourite option is
just switching to a different mysql client library) - my question here is
instead about this test:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/104436/

This test (as written) is against oslo.db and drives eventlet + sqlalchemy
to confirm that the current sqlalchemy driver does _not_ have the above
deadlock observed with mysqldb.  I think it (or some version of it) is an
important test, but the oslo.db guys don't want it in their testsuite since
they've purged every explicit mention of eventlet.  I'm sympathetic to this
pov.

I think we should have something like this test *somewhere*, at least as
long as we're using eventlet frequently.

I'm a bit new to openstack, so I'm lost in a maze of testing options.
 Could some kind member of the TC point to where this test *should* go?

--
 - Gus