[openstack-dev] 答复: 答复: [heat] autoscaling across regions and availability zones

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 10 03:10:13 UTC 2014

Huangtianhua <huangtianhua at huawei.com> wrote on 07/09/2014 10:20:42 PM:

> [...]
AutoScaling/latest/DeveloperGuide/AS_Concepts.html#arch-AutoScalingMultiAZ

> That document leaves a lot of freedom to the cloud provider.  And
> rightfully so, IMO.  To answer your specific example, when spreading
> 5 instances across 2 zones, the cloud provider gets to pick which
> zone gets 3 and which zone gets 2.  As for what a Heat scaling group
> should do, that depends on what Nova can do for Heat.  I have been
> told that Nova's instance-creation operation takes an optional
> parameter that identifies one AZ and, if that parameter is not
> provided, then a configured default AZ is used.  Effectively, the
> client has to make the choice.  I would start out with Heat making a
> random choice; in subsequent development it might query or monitor
> Nova for some statistics to guide the choice.

> --------yes, I read the doc, as you said, the doc is not well
> written, so I doubt about the “fewest instance” before, but now IMO,
> “fewest instance” means the instances of the group, so you are
> right, to my specific example, the instance should be launch at
> random or in a round-robin mode.
>
> An even more interesting issue is the question of choosing which
> member(s) to remove when scaling down.  The approach taken by AWS is
> documented at http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AutoScaling/latest/
> DeveloperGuide/us-termination-policy.html
> but the design there has redundant complexity and the doc is not
> well written.  Following is a short sharp presentation of an
> isomorphic system.
> A client that owns an ASG configures that ASG to have a series
> (possibly empty) of instance termination policies; the client can
> change the series during the ASG's lifetime.  Each policy is drawn
> from the following menu:
> OldestLaunchConfiguration
> ClosestToNextInstanceHour
> OldestInstance
> NewestInstance
> --------and there is a default policy of termination...

If you are objecting to the fact that I omitted "Default" from the menu of
available policies, note that there is no need to discuss a "Default"
policy.  Remember that doc also stipulates that if your list of policies
includes "Default" then "Default" should be at the end of your list. Since
the Default policy is always applied after your list (if there is a need),
there is no need to explicitly declare it at the end.  Note also that the
doc is confusing about default policy; at first it says that the default
policy selects an AZ, and later it mentions using the default policy to
narrow down a set of candidates within an AZ that has already been chosen.
 So a simpler, equivalent explanation has no need to ever talk about a
"default policy", rather it can stipulate that the configured list of ways
to narrow down the set of candidate instances is always followed by
OldestLaunchConfiguration, then ClosestToNextInstanceHour, then a random
choice (which is how the so-called "default policy" narrows down the set
of candidates after the AZ has been chosen).

I brought this whole sub-topic up only to mostly dismiss it.  OpenStack
scaling groups do not currently attempt anything similar to
OldestLaunchConfiguration or ClosestToNextInstanceHour and I recommend
that the work on spanning across AZs should not attempt to change that. My
recommendation is that this spec only call for adding a balancing
selection of AZ to what is currently done.  I have also opened a separate
discussion (ML subject "One more lifecycle plug point - in scaling groups
") about opening up this policy issue to give the cloud provider an
opportunity to configure some code into the selection procedure.

> I plan to draft a spec.
> --------may be no need to draft a spec, due to my bp is approved
> already, and I am developing now, if you are interested in it, we
> can cooperateJ, thanks.
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/implement-
> autoscalinggroup-availabilityzones

I submitted my spec before I got your email.  See
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/105907/ as well as the ML discussion (I
just replied to Zane on the subject).  I hope we can agree on the details
discussed here and there.

Thanks,
Mike