[openstack-dev] [heat] One more lifecycle plug point - in scaling groups

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 1 20:30:21 UTC 2014

Thinking about my favorite use case for lifecycle plug points for cloud
providers (i.e., giving something a chance to make a holistic placement
decision), it occurs to me that one more is needed: a scale-down plug
point.  A plugin for this point has a distinctive job: to decide which
group member(s) to remove from a scaling group (i.e.,
OS::Heat::AutoScalingGroup or OS::Heat::InstanceGroup or
OS::Heat::ResourceGroup or AWS::AutoScaling::AutoScalingGroup).  The
plugin's signature could be something like this: given a list of group
members and a number to remove, return the list of members to remove (or,
equivalently, return the list of members to keep).  What do you think?

Thanks,
Mike