[openstack-dev] openstack/requirements and tarball subdirs

Philipp Marek philipp.marek at linbit.com
Tue Jul 8 13:43:05 UTC 2014

> >> The 1.2.0 release from
> >> http://dbus.freedesktop.org/releases/dbus-python/ doesn't look like an
> >> sdist, either (I see a configure script, so I think they've switched
> >> to autoconf). Uploading that version to PyPI isn't going to give you
> >> something you can install with pip. Are there system packages for
> >> dbus-python for the distros we support directly?
> > Yes; RHEL6 and Ubuntu 12.04 include python-dbus packages.
>
> How about SuSE and Debian?
Ubuntu got the package from Debian AFAIK; it's available.

A google search seems to indicate a
	dbus-1-python-devel-0.83.0-27.1.43.x86_64.rpm
for SLES11-SP3.

> >> That release also appears to be just over a year old. Do you know if
> >> dbus-python is being actively maintained any more? Are there other
> >> libraries for talking to dbus?
> > AFAIK dbus-python is the most current and preferred one.
> >
> > http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-python/ lists two alternatives, but as
> > these are not packaged (yet) I chose python-dbus instead.
> >

> > Can Jenkins use the pre-packaged versions instead of downloading and
> > compiling the tarball?
>
> If dbus-python is indeed the best library, that may be the way to go.
> System-level dependencies can be installed via devstack, so you could
> submit a patch to devstack to install this library for cinder's use by
> editing files/*/cinder.
Within the devstack repository, I guess.

> You'll also need to modify cinder's tox.ini to set "sitepackages =
> True" so the virtualenvs created for the unit tests can see the global
> site-packages directory. Nova does the same thing for some of its
> dependencies.
But such a change would affect _all_ people, right?

Hmmm... If you think such a change will be accepted?

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Phil

--