[openstack-dev] openstack/requirements and tarball subdirs

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Tue Jul 8 13:09:35 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 8:55 AM, Philipp Marek <philipp.marek at linbit.com> wrote:
>> > The other tarballs in that hierarchy follow the same schema; perhaps the
>> > cached download is broken?
>>
>> I downloaded the tarball and didn't find a setup.py at all.
> Oh, that is the requirement? I'd have guessed that the directory name is at
> fault here.
>
>> > The most current releases are available on
>> >         http://dbus.freedesktop.org/releases/dbus-python/
>> > though; perhaps the 1.2.0 release works better?
>> >
>> > But how could I specify to use _that_ source URL?
>>
>> Unfortunately, you can't. We only mirror PyPI, and we only download
>> packages published there.
>>
>> The 1.2.0 release from
>> http://dbus.freedesktop.org/releases/dbus-python/ doesn't look like an
>> sdist, either (I see a configure script, so I think they've switched
>> to autoconf). Uploading that version to PyPI isn't going to give you
>> something you can install with pip. Are there system packages for
>> dbus-python for the distros we support directly?
> Yes; RHEL6 and Ubuntu 12.04 include python-dbus packages.

How about SuSE and Debian?

>> That release also appears to be just over a year old. Do you know if
>> dbus-python is being actively maintained any more? Are there other
>> libraries for talking to dbus?
> AFAIK dbus-python is the most current and preferred one.
>
> http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-python/ lists two alternatives, but as
> these are not packaged (yet) I chose python-dbus instead.
>

> Can Jenkins use the pre-packaged versions instead of downloading and
> compiling the tarball?

If dbus-python is indeed the best library, that may be the way to go.
System-level dependencies can be installed via devstack, so you could
submit a patch to devstack to install this library for cinder's use by
editing files/*/cinder.

You'll also need to modify cinder's tox.ini to set "sitepackages =
True" so the virtualenvs created for the unit tests can see the global
site-packages directory. Nova does the same thing for some of its
dependencies.

Doug