[openstack-dev] openstack/requirements and tarball subdirs

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Tue Jul 8 12:29:58 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 1:46 AM, Philipp Marek <philipp.marek at linbit.com> wrote:

> Hello Doug,
>

> thank you for your help.
>
>> > I guess the problem is that the subdirectory within that tarball includes
>> > the version number, as in "dbus-python-0.84.0/". How can I tell the extract
>> > script that it should look into that one?
>>
>> It looks like that package wasn't built correctly as an sdist, so pip
>> won't install it. Have you contacted the author to report the problem
>> as a bug?
> No, not yet.
>
> I thought that it was okay, being hosted on python.org and so on.
>
> The other tarballs in that hierarchy follow the same schema; perhaps the
> cached download is broken?

I downloaded the tarball and didn't find a setup.py at all.

> The most current releases are available on
>         http://dbus.freedesktop.org/releases/dbus-python/
> though; perhaps the 1.2.0 release works better?
>
> But how could I specify to use _that_ source URL?

Unfortunately, you can't. We only mirror PyPI, and we only download
packages published there.

The 1.2.0 release from
http://dbus.freedesktop.org/releases/dbus-python/ doesn't look like an
sdist, either (I see a configure script, so I think they've switched
to autoconf). Uploading that version to PyPI isn't going to give you
something you can install with pip. Are there system packages for
dbus-python for the distros we support directly?

That release also appears to be just over a year old. Do you know if
dbus-python is being actively maintained any more? Are there other
libraries for talking to dbus?

Doug