[openstack-dev] [heat] One more lifecycle plug point - in scaling groups

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 4 04:13:54 UTC 2014

Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote on 07/02/2014 06:16:21 AM:

> On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 02:41:19AM +0000, Adrian Otto wrote:
> >    Zane,
> >    If you happen to have a link to this blueprint, could you replywith
it? ...

> I believe Zane was referring to:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/update-hooks
>
> This is also related to the action aware software config spec:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/98742/
>
> So in future, you might autoscale nested stacks containing action-aware
> software config resources, then you could define specific actions which
> happen e.g on scale-down (on action DELETE).

Thanks, those are great pointers.  The second pretty much covers the
first, right?

I do think the issue these address --- the need to get application logic
involved in, e.g., shutdown --- is most of what an application needs;
involvement in selection of which member(s) to delete is much less
important (provided that clean shutdown mechanism prevents concurrent
shutdowns).  So that provides a pretty good decoupling between the
application's concerns and a holistic scheduler's concerns.

Thanks,
Mike