[openstack-dev] [heat] One more lifecycle plug point - in scaling groups

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Wed Jul 2 10:16:21 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 02:41:19AM +0000, Adrian Otto wrote:
>    Zane,
>    If you happen to have a link to this blueprint, could you reply with it? I
>    took a look, but did not find it.
>    I'd like to suggest that the implementation allow apps to call
>    unauthenticated (signed) webhook URLs in order to trigger a scale up/down
>    event within a scaling group. This is about the simplest possible API to
>    allow any application to control it's own elasticity.

This is already possible, you just need to get the scaling policy alarm URL
into the instance where the application is running.

I believe Zane was referring to:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/update-hooks

This is also related to the action aware software config spec:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/98742/

So in future, you might autoscale nested stacks containing action-aware
software config resources, then you could define specific actions which
happen e.g on scale-down (on action DELETE).

Steve