[openstack-dev] Swift: reason for using xfs on devices

Osanai, Hisashi osanai.hisashi at jp.fujitsu.com
Wed Jul 2 00:16:42 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, July 01, 2014 9:44 PM, Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org> wrote:

Thank you for the quick response.

> The install guide only recommends a single path, not many options, to ensure success.

I understand the point for writing the document.

> There's a little bit of discussion in the developer docs:
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/deployment_guide.html#filesystem-considerations
> I think that packstack gives the option of using xfs or ext4, so there must be sufficient testing for ext4.

Thank you for this info.
In the discussion, there is a following sentence.
 " After thorough testing with our use cases and hardware configurations, XFS was the best
all-around choice."

I would like to know what kind of testing should I do from filesystem point of view?

Backgroup of this question is:
I read the following performance comparison about ext4 and xfs. There are some results of
Benchmark. It seems that performance of ext4 is better than xfs (Eric Whitney's FFSB testing).
So I think if performance of swift is more important rather than scalability of it, it is a
good idea to use ext4.

http://www.linuxtag.org/2013/fileadmin/www.linuxtag.org/slides/Heinz_Mauelshagen_-_Which_filesystem_should_I_use_.e204.pdf

Best Regards,
Hisashi Osanai