[openstack-dev] Swift: reason for using xfs on devices

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Tue Jul 1 12:44:19 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 6:21 AM, Osanai, Hisashi <
osanai.hisashi at jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the following document, there is a setup up procedure for storage and
> it seems that swift recommends to use xfs.
>

> http://docs.openstack.org/icehouse/install-guide/install/yum/content/installing-and-configuring-storage-nodes.html
> ===
> 2. For each device on the node that you want to use for storage, set up the
> XFS volume (/dev/sdb is used as an example). Use a single partition per
> drive.
> For example, in a server with 12 disks you may use one or two disks for the
>  operating system which should not be touched in this step. The other 10
> or 11
> disks should be partitioned with a single partition, then formatted in XFS.
> ===
>
> I would like to know the reason why swift recommends xfs rather than ext4?

The install guide only recommends a single path, not many options, to
ensure success.

There's a little bit of discussion in the developer docs:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/deployment_guide.html#filesystem-considerations

I think that packstack gives the option of using xfs or ext4, so there must
be sufficient testing for ext4.

Anne