[openstack-dev] Swift: reason for using xfs on devices

Osanai, Hisashi osanai.hisashi at jp.fujitsu.com
Tue Jul 1 11:21:54 UTC 2014

Hi,

In the following document, there is a setup up procedure for storage and
it seems that swift recommends to use xfs.

http://docs.openstack.org/icehouse/install-guide/install/yum/content/installing-and-configuring-storage-nodes.html
===
2. For each device on the node that you want to use for storage, set up the
XFS volume (/dev/sdb is used as an example). Use a single partition per drive.
For example, in a server with 12 disks you may use one or two disks for the
 operating system which should not be touched in this step. The other 10 or 11
disks should be partitioned with a single partition, then formatted in XFS.
===

I would like to know the reason why swift recommends xfs rather than ext4?

I think ext4 has reasonable performance and can support 1EiB from design point of view.
# The max file system size of ext4 is not enough???

Thanks in advance,
Hisashi Osanai