[openstack-dev] Mistral + taskflow mini-meetup

Renat Akhmerov rakhmerov at mirantis.com
Mon Jan 27 20:31:18 UTC 2014

Josh, thanks for sharing this with the community. Just a couple of words as an addition to that..

The driver for this conversation is that TaskFlow library and Mistral service in many ways do similar things: task processing combined somehow (flow or workflow). However, there’s a number of differences in approaches that the two technologies follow. Initially, when Mistral’s development phase started about a couple of months ago the team was willing to use TaskFlow at implementation level. Basically, we can potentially represent Mistral tasks as TaskFlow tasks and use TaskFlow API to run them. One of the problems though is that TaskFlow tasks are basically python methods and hence run synchronously (once we get out of the method the task is considered finished) whereas Mistral is primarily designed to run asynchronous tasks (send a signal to an external system and start waiting for a result which may arrive minutes or hours later. Mistral is more like event-driven system versus traditional executor architecture. So now Mistral PoC is not using TaskFlow but moving forward we we’d like to try to marry these two technologies to be more aligned in terms of APIs and feature sets.

Renat Akhmerov
@ Mirantis Inc.