[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Issues with transformers

Adrian Turjak adriant at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Jan 27 01:51:07 UTC 2014

Hello,

I've been trying to build a transformer, and while I've gotten it to
work as intended for the most part, I've run into a weird issue because
the metric I'm transforming has two inputs.

I created a gauge metric that is updated via notifications, and a
pollster. The data from both of those needs to be transformed in to a
cumulative metric. The transformer object works as intended, but the
issue is that while my pollster/notifications combo does create samples
for the same named metric, two different transformer objects are being
created for each data input for the metric.

What this means is I get two different transformed calculations that
both output to the same metric and give different values. Since one is
for the notification based data, and the other from the pollster.

I can't in the source see how, or why two transformer object are being
created, but I've gotten them printing their memory address to log so I
am certain they are two different transformer objects.

Is there a reason that ceilometer is making a transformer object for
notifications and pollsters separately rather than one for both?

Is this a bug? If so, where should I start to look into fixing it?

Hope someone is able to help.

Also, as a side note, I'm working off Havana as notification based
metrics for the compute agent don't seem to be working on master.

Cheers,
-Adrian Turjak