[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] Third party testing

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Sat Jan 18 03:31:13 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> [...]
>> house dedicated and reserved 24/7 might be a tough order right out of
>> the gate.  That being said, of course I'm willing and able to do that
>> for my employer, but feedback from others hasn't been quite so
>> amiable.
>>
>> The feedback here seems significant enough that maybe gating every
>> change is the way to go though.  I'm certainly willing to opt in to
>> that model and get things off the ground.  I do have a couple of
>> concerns (number 3 begin the most significant):
>>
>> 1. I don't want ANY commit/patch waiting for a Vendors infrastructure
>> to run a test.  We would definitely need a timeout mechanism or
>> something along those lines to ensure none of this disrupts the gate
>>
>> 2. Isolating this to changes in Cinder seems fine, the intent was
>> mostly a compatability / features check.  This takes it up a notch and
>> allows us to detect when something breaks right away which is
>> certainly a good thing.
>>
>> 3. Support and maintenance is a concern here.  We have a first rate
>> community that ALL pull together to make our gating and infrastructure
>> work in OpenStack.  Even with that it's still hard for everybody to
>> keep up due to number of project and simply the volume of patches that
>> go in on a daily basis.  There's no way I could do my regular jobs
>> that I'm already doing AND maintain my own fork/install of the
>> OpenStack gating infrastructure.
>>
>> 4. Despite all of the heavy weight corporation throwing resource after
>> resource at OpenStack, keep in mind that it is an Open Source
>> community still.  I don't want to do ANYTHING that would make it some
>> unfriendly to folks who would like to commit.  Keep in mind that
>> vendors here aren't necessarily all large corporations, or even all
>> paid for proprietary products.  There are open source storage drivers
>> for example in Cinder and they may or may not have any of the
>> resources to make this happen but that doesn't mean they should not be
>> allowed to have code in OpenStack.
>>
>> The fact is that the problem I see is that there are drivers/devices
>> that flat out don't work and end users (heck even some vendors that
>> choose not to test) don't know this until they've purchased a bunch of
>> gear and tried to deploy their cloud.  What I was initially proposing
>> here was just a more formal public and community representation of
>> whether a device works as it's advertised or not.
>>
>> Please keep in mind that my proposal here was a first step sort of
>> test case.  Rather than start with something HUGE like deploying the
>> OpenStack CI in every vendors lab to test every commit (and I"m sorry
>> for those that don't agree but that does seem like a SIGNIFICANT
>> undertaking), why not take incremental steps to make things better and
>> learn as we go along?
>
> Certainly - I totally agree that anything >> nothing. I was asking
> about your statement of not having enough infra to get a handle on
> what would block things. As you know, tripleo is running up a

Sorry, got carried away and didn't really answer your question about
resources clearly.  My point about resources was in terms of
man-power, dedicated hardware, networking and all of the things that
go along with spinning up tests on every commit and archiving the
results.  I would definitely like to do this, but first I'd like to
see something that every backend driver maintainer can do at least at
each milestone.

> production quality test cloud to test tripleo, Ironic and once we get
> everything in place - multinode gating jobs. We're *super* interested
> in making the bar to increased validation as low as possible.

We should chat in IRC about approaches here and see if we can align.
For the record HP's resources are vastly different than say a small
start up storage vendor or an open-source storage software stack.

By the way, maybe you can point me to what tripleo is doing, looking
in gerrit I see the jenkins "gate noop" and the docs job but that's
all I'm seeing?