[openstack-dev] [ironic] Disk Eraser

Gareth academicgareth at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 09:38:23 UTC 2014

Hi guys

I have another question about erasing all data from disk.

When using dd from /dev/zero could set bytes to zero from LBA0 on a disk.
But dd a whole disk will cost very very long time and the custom way is to
dd key data on the disk, for example the first 512B as MBR. But this is not
enough, some data still locates in disk which could bring some issues like
device mapper. And my question is how Disk Eraser cleans all data on disk.
dd is the tool, not a strategy.

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 4:14 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc at robertcollins.net>wrote:

> On 16 January 2014 03:31, Alan Kavanagh <alan.kavanagh at ericsson.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi fellow OpenStackers
> >

> > Does anyone have any recommendations on open source tools for disk
> > erasure/data destruction software. I have so far looked at DBAN and disk
> > scrubber and was wondering if ironic team have some better
> recommendations?
>
> So for Ironic this is a moderately low priority thing right now - and
> certainly I think it should be optional (what the default is is a
> different discussion).
>
> It's low priority because there are -so- many other concerns about
> sharing bare metal machines between tenants that don't have
> comprehensive mutual trust, that it's really not viable today (even on
> relatively recent platforms IMNSHO).
>
> -Rob
>

> --
> Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
> Distinguished Technologist
> HP Converged Cloud

Gareth

*Cloud Computing, OpenStack, Fitness, Basketball*
*OpenStack contributor*
*Company: UnitedStack <http://www.ustack.com>*
*My promise: if you find any spelling or grammar mistakes in my email from
Mar 1 2013, notify me *
*and I'll donate $1 or ¥1 to an open organization you specify.*