[openstack-dev] [TripleO] [Tuskar] Deployment Management section - Wireframes

Jiří Stránský jistr at redhat.com
Mon Jan 13 15:45:53 UTC 2014

On 13.1.2014 11:43, Jaromir Coufal wrote:
> On 2014/10/01 21:17, Jay Dobies wrote:
>> Another question:
>>
>> - A Role (sounds like we're moving away from that so I'll call it
>> Resource Category) can have multiple Node Profiles defined (assuming I'm
>> interpretting the + and the tabs in the Create a Role wireframe
>> correctly). But I don't see anywhere where a profile is selected when
>> scaling the Resource Category. Is the idea behind the profiles that you
>> can select how much power you want to provide in addition to how many
>> nodes?
>
> Yes, that is correct, Jay. I mentioned that in walkthrough and in
> wireframes with the note "More views needed (for deploying, scaling,
> managing roles)".
>
> I would say there might be two approaches - one is to specify which node
> profile you want to scale in order to select how much power you want to add.
>
> The other approach is just to scale the number of nodes in a role and
> let system decide the best match (which node profile is chosen will be
> decided on the best fit, probably).

Hmm i'm not sure i understand - what do you think by "best fit" here?
E.g. i have 32 GB RAM profile and 256 GB RAM profile in the compute role
(and i have unused machines available for both profiles), and i increase
compute node count by 2. What do i best-fit against?

(Alternatively, if we want to support scaling a role using just one
spinner, even though the role has more profiles, maybe we could pick the
"largest" profile with unused nodes available?)

> I lean towards the first approach, where you specify what role and which
> node profile you want to use for scaling. However this is just
> introduction of the idea and I believe we can get answers until we get
> to that step.

+1. I think we'll want the first approach to be at least possible (maybe
not default). As a cloud operator, when i want deploy 2 more compute
nodes, i imagine there are situations when i do care whether i'll get
additional 64 GB or additional 512 GB capacity.

Jirka