[openstack-dev] os-*-config in tripleo repositories

Derek Higgins derekh at redhat.com
Thu Jan 9 13:13:53 UTC 2014

It looks like we have some duplication and inconsistencies on the 3
os-*-config elements in the tripleo repositories

os-apply-config (duplication) :
   We have two elements that install this
     diskimage-builder/elements/config-applier/
     tripleo-image-elements/elements/os-apply-config/

   As far as I can tell the version in diskimage-builder isn't used by
tripleo and the upstart file is broke
./dmesg:[   13.336184] init: Failed to spawn config-applier main
process: unable to execute: No such file or directory

   To avoid confusion I propose we remove
diskimage-builder/elements/config-applier/ (or deprecated if we have a
suitable process) but would like to call it out here first to see if
anybody is using it or thinks its a bad idea?

inconsistencies
  os-collect-config, os-refresh-config : these are both installed from
git into the global site-packages
  os-apply-config : installed from a released tarball into its own venv

  To be consistent with the other elements all 3 I think should be
installed from git into its own venv, thoughts?

If no objections I'll go ahead an do this next week,

thanks,
Derek.