[openstack-dev] [Heat] Windows Support

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Thu Jan 9 10:14:31 UTC 2014

Hi Winson,

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 08:41:16PM +0000, Chan, Winson C wrote:
> Does anybody know if this blueprint is being actively work on?  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/windows-instances  If this is not active, can I take ownership of this blueprint?  My team wants to add support for Windows in Heat for our internal deployment.

Ha, that BP has been unassigned for nearly a year, then two folks want to
take it on the same day, what are the chances! :)

Alex Pilotti pinged me on IRC yesterday asking about it, and offered to
take ownership of the BP, so I assigned it to him.

That said, I'm pretty sure there is scope for breaking down the work so you
can take on some tasks - we just need to evaluate what needs to be done and
raise some child blueprints so the effort can be distributed.

The steps I can think of, unless they have already been done by folks:
- Evaluate bootstrap agent (I'd assumed cloudbase-init would work, which
  Alex indicated was the case yesterday) with Heat generated userdata.
- Figure out if we have path issues in userdata/part-handler which need
  resolving
- Work out what we do with heat-cfntools:
    - Add support for windows?
    - Figure out a way to work with a fork of cfnbootstrap (which already
      works on windows I think (ref https://bugs.launchpad.net/heat/+bug/1103811)
    - Support some other method for secondary post-boot customization (e.g
      just use cloudbase-init, or integrate with some other existing agent)
- Document preparation of a Heat-enabled Windows image
- Windows example templates and user documentation

There's probably more stuff I haven't considered - hopefully you can
connect with Alex, work out a way to divide the effort and raise some new
BPs?

To me the biggest unknown is the in-instance agent thing, but tbh I've not
really looked at it in much detail so I'd be happy to hear peoples thoughts
and experiences.

Steve