[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Installing from packages in tripleo-image-elements

Jay Dobies jason.dobies at redhat.com
Wed Jan 8 16:09:51 UTC 2014

There were so many places in this thread that I wanted to jump in on as
I caught up, it makes sense to just summarize things in once place
instead of a half dozen quoted replies.

I agree with the sentiments about flexibility. Regardless of my personal
preference on source v. packages, it's been my experience that the
general mindset of production deployment is that new ideas move slowly.
Admins are set in their ways and policies are in place on how things are
consumed.

Maybe the newness of all things cloud-related and image-based management
for scale is a good time to shift the mentality out of packages (again,
I'm not suggesting whether or not it should be shifted). But I worry
about adoption if we don't provide an option for people to use blessed
distro packages, either because of company policy or years of habit and
bias. If done correctly, there's no difference between a package and a
particular tag in a source repository, but there is a psychological
component there that I think we need to account for, assuming someone is
willing to bite off the implementation costs (which is sounds like there
is).