[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Installing from packages in tripleo-image-elements

Jan Provaznik jprovazn at redhat.com
Wed Jan 8 11:00:19 UTC 2014

On 01/07/2014 09:01 PM, James Slagle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to discuss some possible ways we could install the OpenStack
> components from packages in tripleo-image-elements.  As most folks are
> probably aware, there is a "fork" of tripleo-image-elements called
> tripleo-puppet-elements which does install using packages, but it does
> so using Puppet to do the installation and for managing the
> configuration of the installed components.  I'd like to kind of set
> that aside for a moment and just discuss how we might support
> installing from packages using tripleo-image-elements directly and not
> using Puppet.
>
> One idea would be to add support for a new type (or likely 2 new
> types: rpm and dpkg) to the source-repositories element.
> source-repositories already knows about the git, tar, and file types,
> so it seems somewhat natural to have additional types for rpm and
> dpkg.
>
> A complication with that approach is that the existing elements assume
> they're setting up everything from source.  So, if we take a look at
> the nova element, and specifically install.d/74-nova, that script does
> stuff like install a nova service, adds a nova user, creates needed
> directories, etc.  All of that wouldn't need to be done if we were
> installing from rpm or dpkg, b/c presumably the package would take
> care of all that.
>
> We could fix that by making the install.d scripts only run if you're
> installing a component from source.  In that sense, it might make
> sense to add a new hook, source-install.d and only run those scripts
> if the type is a source type in the source-repositories configuration.
>   We could then have a package-install.d to handle the installation
> from the packages type.   The install.d hook could still exist to do
> things that might be common to the 2 methods.
>
> Thoughts on that approach or other ideas?
>
> I'm currently working on a patchset I can submit to help prove it out.
>   But, I'd like to start discussion on the approach now to see if there
> are other ideas or major opposition to that approach.

Hi James,
I think it would be really nice to be able install openstack+deps from
packages and many users (and cloud providers) would appreciate it.

Among other things, with packages provided by a distro you get more
stability in compare to installing openstack from git repos and fetching
newest possible dependencies from pypi.

In a real deployment setup  I don't want to use "more-than-necessary"
newer packages/dependencies when building images - taking an example
from last days I wouldn't have to bother with newer pip package which
breaks image building.

Jan