[openstack-dev] olso.config error on running Devstack

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Tue Jan 7 17:32:11 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-07 07:16, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 6:24 AM, Michael Kerrin <michael.kerrin at hp.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been seeing this problem also.
>>
>> My problem is actually with oslo.sphinx. I ran sudo pip install -r test-requirements.txt in cinder so that I could run the tests there, which installed oslo.sphinx.
>>
>> Strange thing is that the oslo.sphinx installed a directory called oslo in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages with no __init__.py file. With this package installed like so I get the same error you get with oslo.config.
>
> The oslo libraries use python namespace packages, which manifest themselves as a directory in site-packages (or dist-packages) with sub-packages but no __init__.py(c). That way oslo.sphinx and oslo.config can be packaged separately, but still installed under the "oslo" directory and imported as oslo.sphinx and oslo.config.
>
> My guess is that installing oslo.sphinx globally (with sudo), set up 2 copies of the namespace package (one in the global dist-packages and presumably one in the virtualenv being used for the tests).

Actually I think it may be the opposite problem, at least where I'm
currently running into this. oslo.sphinx is only installed in the venv
and it creates a namespace package there. Then if you try to load
oslo.config in the venv it looks in the namespace package, doesn't find
it, and bails with a missing module error.

I'm personally running into this in tempest - I can't even run pep8 out
of the box because the sample config check fails due to missing
oslo.config. Here's what I'm seeing:

In the tox venv:
(pep8)[fedora at devstack site-packages]$ ls oslo*
oslo.sphinx-1.1-py2.7-nspkg.pth

oslo:
sphinx

oslo.sphinx-1.1-py2.7.egg-info:
dependency_links.txt namespace_packages.txt PKG-INFO top_level.txt
installed-files.txt not-zip-safe SOURCES.txt

And in the system site-packages:
[fedora at devstack site-packages]$ ls oslo*
oslo.config.egg-link oslo.messaging.egg-link

Since I don't actually care about oslo.sphinx in this case, I also found
that deleting it from the venv fixes the problem, but obviously that's
just a hacky workaround. My initial thought is to install oslo.sphinx in
devstack the same way as oslo.config and oslo.messaging, but I assume
there's a reason we didn't do it that way in the first place so I'm not
sure if that will work.

So I don't know what the proper fix is, but I thought I'd share what
I've found so far. Also, I'm not sure if this even relates to the
ceilometer issue since I wouldn't expect that to be running in a venv,
but it may have a similar issue.

-Ben