[openstack-dev] olso.config error on running Devstack

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Tue Jan 7 13:16:58 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 6:24 AM, Michael Kerrin <michael.kerrin at hp.com>wrote:

>  I have been seeing this problem also.
>

> My problem is actually with oslo.sphinx. I ran sudo pip install -r
> test-requirements.txt in cinder so that I could run the tests there, which
> installed oslo.sphinx.
>

> Strange thing is that the oslo.sphinx installed a directory called oslo in
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages with no __init__.py file. With this
> package installed like so I get the same error you get with oslo.config.

The oslo libraries use python namespace packages, which manifest
themselves as a directory in site-packages (or dist-packages) with
sub-packages but no __init__.py(c). That way oslo.sphinx and oslo.config
can be packaged separately, but still installed under the "oslo" directory
and imported as oslo.sphinx and oslo.config.

My guess is that installing oslo.sphinx globally (with sudo), set up 2
copies of the namespace package (one in the global dist-packages and
presumably one in the virtualenv being used for the tests).

Doug