[openstack-dev] [Cinder]Do you think volume force delete operation should not apply to the volume being used?

yunling yunlingzeng at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 20 15:04:16 UTC 2014

From cinder code, we know that volume delete operation could be classify into three categories;
1. General delelte:  delete volumes that are in the status of available, error, error_restoring, error_extending.
2. Force delete: delete volumes that are in the status of extending, attaching, detaching, await-transfering, backing or restoring.
3. Others: volumes that are attached or in the progress of migrate operation can't be force deleted.

We know that volume's status in attaching/detaching also means that the volume is "in-use", not only in "attached" status and in the progress of volume migration.
Cinder force delete sometimes can delelte "in-use" volumes, and sometimes can not deleted "in-use" volumes.

My question is as follows:
1. Do you think volume force delete operation should not apply to the volume being used?
eg. Should attaching/detaching/backing volume can't be force delete ?